Change text size:
Castle Mill was once a cotton mill, and later used for grinding corn
For over 100 years Papplewick had its own post office
Papplewick Grange was the mansion built by the cotton mill owners, now demolished.
The original farm on Main Street is a long-vanished feature.
Papplewick Lodge is a grade II listed building on Main Street.
The village garage closed in 2005
Some extracts describing the activities of those living in Victorian Papplewick.
The Montagu family controlled Papplewick for more than 250 years until the estate was sold in the 1920s.
From 1778 until 1830 Papplewick was an important centre for producing cotton thread.
Some extracts from the England and Wales census, showing the changes in population over the last 200 years or so.
The parish church in Papplewick is dedicated to St James